This week we decided to change it up from an immersive space and try what worked last week and upsize the scale of it. This was done using more LED screens and spitting up the keyboard over 4 screens. We decided through consultation with other external opinion and our own input, that the screens weren’t flush against one another enough and it lost the sharpness of the image when it was blown up over the 4 screens. What we did decided to keep however, was the red wash of light over the original seat. This alluded to without screaming, the Communist associations with the colour red, relevant with the war stories we wanted to embed in the work.
This iteration quickly developed back to the original screen idea, and perhaps jamming the idea of using materialistic objects with a digital influence. more specifically, the typewriter creating a letter infront of it that used digital projection to showcase the writing, as if it were happening live.
We decided that this giant piece of paper could act like a physical component of a typewriter, that would suggest a scaleable installation. We then wanted to play with the immersion side of the project, to completely trap the responder with the idea that this is happening in front of them and a presence was felt from a war torn individual.
The overarching messages from the feedback that too much “stuff” could be detrimental to the original connection made with the audience of almost an accidental aesthetic. That by throwing a whole heap of materials to a work to see what might work, could be the wrong way to approach the project. That we should refer back to previous week and focus on the ways we could understand perhaps the emotion that certain elements of the war the country experienced could be showcased in letters and archive stories. Generally there was a lot being thrown at the audience and the end decision that it was indeed, ‘too crowded’.